Monday, June 13, 2011

Thing 8: Wiki's

My first experiences with wikis came from a training a did last summer. A teacher from my school introduced us to PBWorks here she had created an interactive website for her and her students to exchange thoughts and ideas about different books they were reading and other stuff going on in their classroom. After the training was over I actually created one of my own, but never took the time to figure out how to use it well enough to share it with my kids and parents. Hopefully I will get some time this summer to work on it.

Some things that I like about PBWorks
- You can set up an account and it's free for academic use by up to 100 students, teachers or parents.
- Multimedia plugins: Embed video & audio in just a few clicks
- Built-in student accountability: See who changed what, and automatically reverse any changes. The page history lets you keep track of who contributed what.
- Workspace-wide access control. Select the specific users who have access, or make the workspace public and available to all.
- Give young students a personal login and password to protect their online privacy.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of PBworks. I think it is more of a WIKI than a blog. Although there are many similarities, the WIKIness of PBworks is the ability to edit one document and be able to see other's edits.

    I love your blog template. I can see you are moving along nicely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete